- 34 Chapel Hill Rd, Lincoln Park
- Newark, NJ
The Bartolommeo Colleoni monument in Lincoln Park, Newark was brought here to beautify the city and to discourage piracy as a civic virtue. There are no descendants of the Colleoni family in Newark, nor was there a large colony of Venetian immigrants in Newark at any time. Newark brewer Christian Feigenspan asked John Cotton Dana, founder of the Newark Museum, and sculptor John Massey Rhind (1860-1936) to suggest a work from history for him to endow. There no real back story...it’s just a work of art admired by this city’s premiere promoter of the visual arts at the beginning of the 20th century.