Essex County Courthouse/Abraham Lincoln
- 50 West Market St
- Newark, NJ 07102
Completed in 1907, this imposing structure was designed by the renowned architect Cass Gilbert. Considered by experts to be one of the most beautiful and tasteful buildings of its type in the nation, the courthouse features marble exterior and interior columns, a glass-domed roof, and ornately paneled courtrooms and offices. On either side of the main entrance are statues symbolizing "Truth" and "Power," and over the pediment stand nine allegorical statues. In front of the courthouse is Gutzon Borglum's celebrated statue of Abraham Lincoln in an informal pose, seated on a bench, which was dedicated in 1911 by President Theodore Roosevelt.