Tips for Travel
Enjoy big city fun and adventure and leave behind the worry. Here are some tips and tricks to help you safely enjoy all the greater Newark region has to offer.
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Always keep your personal belongings with you. Do not leave your smartphone unattended or leave a camera, handbag or any personal items unattended while using a bathroom.
- Do not leave unattended items to reserve a seat.
- Go native and try to fit in. Walk with confidence; avoid looking like a tourist or attracting attention. Use GPS navigation to get around. If unavailable study maps before setting off rather than reading them on a street corner.
- Never be afraid to ask for assistance. Newarkers are friendly people. Stop in a shop or restaurant for assistance if you can’t find anyone you feel comfortable talking to.
- In crowded subways or trains, keep your wallet in your front pocket rather than the rear. Always keep your handbag closed with your arm blocking off access, preventing someone gaining entry to your prized possessions.
- Avoid drawing attention by flaunting jewelry, cash, smartphones or any other electronic device in public. Feel free to use them but counting large sums of money on a street corner is probably a bad idea.
- Know the local laws and be aware that photography in the PATH and NYC subway systems is strictly prohibited.
- Ride away. Taking late night public transportation is perfectly safe! As always, use caution and be aware of your surroundings, choose a PATH/subway or rail car with multiple people present. Consider returning by taxi if your evening involved excessive celebration.
- When retrieving money from an ATM (Automatic Teller Machines), make sure that you put your money safely away before leaving the ATM machine. Don’t count your money on a street corner or on a subway platform. Try and limit the amount of cash that you are carrying around, and don’t keep all of your money in one location.
- Once the sun sets, stick to busy streets that are well lit. If you feel uncomfortable or lost, duck into a restaurant or shop for assistance.
- Monitor your surroundings by watching your reflection in storefront windows. Always sneak a peek and trust your instincts.
We hope you enjoy a wonderful crime-free stay in Newark. Should you find yourself the victim of a petty crime, please contact a police officer.
Emergencies: (Police, Fire or Ambulance) call 911.
Department of Police:
649 Market St. Newark, NJ 07105
480 Clinton Avenue
Newark, NJ 07108
- EWR Natural Spring Water
- PR Hurricane Relief
- Cruise Ships
- US Customs & Visas
- Newark Map
- View Visitors Guide
- Getting Here
- Newark Airport
- Order Visitors Guide
- Terminal C
- Top Ten To Dos
- Trip Advisor