Amid the growing concerns about the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and for the health and safety of our Visitor Center personnel, the Visitor Information Center (GNCVB) will be closed to the public until further notice. The GNCVB administrative office will remain OPEN from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm daily. Groups, walk-in guests or for those traveling to Newark, can find additional information on our website at www.newarkhappening.com. If you have any questions or need to speak with a Destination consultant, please call our office directly at 973-735-2135.
State of New Jersey Coronavirus Helpline:
The City of Newark, Mayor Ras J. Baraka, and Health Department and Wellness Director Dr. Mark Wade are urging residents with questions about the virus to call the State of New Jersey’s hotline at 1 (800) 222-1222. The Helpline, free and available 24/7, is a resource that anyone in the Greater Newark Area is encouraged to use to answer questions about COVID-19. Staffed by medical experts, the helpline will help answer questions, including:
- Symptoms and risk factors for the coronavirus
- What to do if you think you may have been exposed
- Surveillance & Testing
- Recommendations for social distancing
Visit New Jersey Preventative Efforts:
The New Jersey Division of Travel and Tourism (NJTT) is actively managing developments as they unfold with COVID-19, in close conjunction with the New Jersey Department of Health. All travelers, residents, and businesses can find the official information regarding the state’s response to the coronavirus at New Jersey’s COVID-19 Information Hub.
Effective Saturday, March 21 at 9 pm, Gov. Murphy has recommended all residents stay at home until further notice, with certain exceptions, as well the cancellation of all public gatherings. Gov. Murphy urges social distancing of at least 6 feet between individuals, as well as improved sanitary and hygiene practices. In the “Stay at Home Order,” gatherings of individuals, such as parties, celebrations, or other social events, are canceled, unless explicitly authorized by Executive Order 107.
Non-essential retail businesses must close storefront and/or brick-and-mortar premises operations while Executive Order 107 is in effect, and all recreational and entertainment businesses must close to the public.
Also effective Saturday, March 21 at 9 pm, Gov. Murphy signed Executive Order No. 108, which invalidates any county or municipal restriction that in any way will or may conflict with any of the provisions of Executive Order No. 107.
NJTT is committed to ensuring the safety and health of our residents, partners, tourists, visitors and staff, and will provide you with tourism-related updates, as we closely monitor the COVID-19 outbreak in our state and throughout the country.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Coronavirus Disease 2019
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus
- U.S. Travel Association - Emergency Preparedness and Response
- State of New Jersey: Department of Health
- Governor Phil Murphy Executive Order No. 104
- Governor Phil Murphy Executive Order No. 103, Mandatory Facility Closures
- New Jersey Businesses Guidance for COVID-19
Have general questions about COVID-19?
The NJ Poison Control Center and 211 have partnered with the State to provide information to the public on COVID-19:
- Call: 2-1-1
- Call (24/7): 1-800-222-1222
- Text: NJCOVID to 898-211
Information for Travelers:
- CDC Recommendations for Travelers
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR): COVID-19 Precautions
- NJ Transit
- Information for Travelers to Newark
Information for Travel Trade, Meeting Planners and Exhibitors:
- US Travel Association Coronavirus Toolkit
- PCMA Resources for Business Event Professionals
- Meeting Professionals International
- International Association of Exhibitions and Events (IAEE) official statement
- Meetings Means Business
Information for Hotels and Restaurants:
If at any time the GNCVB receives new guidance from the CDC, the City of Newark or the State of New Jersey, or if concerns begin to escalate due to emerging information, we will promptly update this page.