Amid the growing concerns about the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and for the health and safety of our Visitor Center personnel, the Visitor Information Center (GNCVB) will be closed to the public until further notice. The GNCVB administrative office will remain OPEN from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm daily. Groups, walk-in guests or for those traveling to Newark, can find additional information on our website at www.newarkhappening.com. If you have any questions or need to speak with a Destination consultant, please call our office directly at 973-735-2135.
City of Newark Updates
Stay up to date with COVID-19.
COVID-19 Comprehensive Help for Residents and Small Businesses
Mayor Baraka has developed a website and special programs to help you stay informed of COVID-19 developments.
LINK - newarkcovid19.com
All retail businesses must complete an application prior to re-opening.
State of New Jersey Updates
Governor Murphy's Executive Orders
New Jersey’s stay-at-home order has been lifted. Continue to practice social distancing.
Learn more about Stage Two of New Jersey’s Restart and Recovery:
State of New Jersey Coronavirus Helpline:
The City of Newark, Mayor Ras J. Baraka, and Health Department and Wellness Director Dr. Mark Wade are urging residents with questions about the virus to call the State of New Jersey’s hotline at 1 (800) 222-1222. The Helpline, free and available 24/7, is a resource that anyone in the Greater Newark Area is encouraged to use to answer questions about COVID-19. Staffed by medical experts, the helpline will help answer questions, including:
- Symptoms and risk factors for the coronavirus
- What to do if you think you may have been exposed
- Surveillance & Testing
- Recommendations for social distancing
Visit New Jersey Preventative Efforts:
The New Jersey Division of Travel and Tourism (NJTT) is actively managing developments as they unfold with COVID-19, in close conjunction with the New Jersey Department of Health. All travelers, residents, and businesses can find the official information regarding the state’s response to the coronavirus at New Jersey’s COVID-19 Information Hub.
- Executive Order 107: Gov. Phil Murphy has directed a statewide, “Stay at Home,” order and closure of all nonessential retail businesses, as well as the cancellation of all public gatherings.
- Executive Order No. 108: Invalidates any county or municipal restriction that in any way will or may conflict with any of the provisions of Executive Order No. 107.
- The New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA) Board approved a package of initiatives to aid businesses and workers undergoing severe economic struggle due to the outbreak of COVID-19; visit the Business Information Hub.
- Executive Order No. 122: Imposes additional mitigation policies on essential retail businesses to limit the spread of COVID-19 in New Jersey, including the requirement of workers and customers to wear cloth face coverings while on the premises.
- Executive Order No. 125: Imposes additional mitigation requirements on NJ TRANSIT and all private carriers to limit the spread of COVID-19. The order also outlines specific policies on restaurants that have remained open for takeout orders.
- Executive Order No. 131: Creates the Governor's Restart and Recovery Commission, to inform the administration on the safe restart and recovery of New Jersey; read more about Gov. Phil Murphy's The Road Back Plan.
- Executive Order No. 138: Extends the Public Health Emergency declared on April 7, 2020.
- Governors Murphy, Cuomo (NY), Lamont (CT), Wolf (PA), Carney (DE), Raimondo (RI) and Baker (MA) announced the formation of a regional advisory board to coordinate cooperative mitigation and reopening effort among seven states, following the public health emergency.
- NJTT is committed to ensuring the safety and health of our residents, partners, tourists, visitors, and staff, and will provide you with tourism-related updates, as we closely monitor the COVID-19 outbreak in our state and throughout the country.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Coronavirus Disease 2019
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus
- U.S. Travel Association - Emergency Preparedness and Response
- FEMA – www.fema.gov
- State of New Jersey: Department of Health
- Governor Phil Murphy Executive Order No. 104
- Governor Phil Murphy Executive Order No. 103, Mandatory Facility Closures
- New Jersey Businesses Guidance for COVID-19
Have general questions about COVID-19?
The NJ Poison Control Center and 211 have partnered with the State to provide information to the public on COVID-19:
- Call: 2-1-1
- Call (24/7): 1-800-222-1222
- Text: NJCOVID to 898-211
Information for Travelers:
- CDC Recommendations for Travelers
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR): COVID-19 Precautions
- NJ Transit
- Information for Travelers to Newark
Information for Travel Trade, Meeting Planners, and Exhibitors:
- US Travel Association Coronavirus Toolkit
- PCMA Resources for Business Event Professionals
- Meeting Professionals International
- International Association of Exhibitions and Events (IAEE) official statement
- Meetings Means Business
Information for Hotels and Restaurants:
If at any time the GNCVB receives new guidance from the CDC, the City of Newark or the State of New Jersey, or if concerns begin to escalate due to emerging information, we will promptly update this page.