The historic Newark Public Library traces its beginnings to the Newark Library Association, which was formed in 1847. Forty years later, the people of Newark approved the founding of a Free Public Library. The Newark Free Public Library opened on West Park Street and offered 10,000 books which were shelved in open stacks, an innovation at the time. Eventually, the need for more space necessitated the construction of a new building at 5 Washington Street. The new completed structure, built of brick and faced with Indiana limestone along the front and sides, was dedicated on March 14, 1901. It is a magnificent structure housing works of art, the latest technologies, programs for kids including magicians and storytellers... and of course an enormous collection of books. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Tours of the Main Library may be arranged by calling 973-733-7847.