The oldest Roman Catholic church in the city, St. John's was built in 1826 and was the first in the state to have a resident pastor. The church also was the first in Newark to have chimes, which were installed in 1859. Through its special services and consideration of the poor, the church has been known as "the people's church." The church currently runs a soup kitchen, women's shelter, and art gallery for children. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.